Oasis for Kids
Today’s children, from an early age, spend more and more time in front of computer and mobile phone screens, and less and less in nature. Moving away from it, they neglect its impact on our lives. We started Oasis for Kids because we want to encourage children and young people to reconnect with nature through ecological gardening. With a school garden as an example of an ecosystem, we want to bring children closer to the topics of environmental protection and sustainable development in a practical, fun and age-appropriate way. Activities in school gardens allow children to interact with nature, which they lack in urban environments.
What children learn
- using gardening tools
- contact with the soil and different forms of life in a garden (plants, insects, small animals)
- life cycle of a plant from a seed to fruit
- ecological gardening methods
- patience, perseverance – putting effort into growing plants kids learn that results come with hard work
- responsibility and self-initiative
- social and communication skills – indispensable for the proper development of the child
School curriculum competencies
Oasis for Kids facilitates the competency development in the following school courses:
- Science and Social Studies
because it enables pupils to use in practice the knowledge they learnt during school classes.
An integral part of the Oasis for Kids is the Green Fingers project, which involves international volunteers to enrich school activities. The main goal of the project is to promote the ideas of tolerance, diversity, togetherness and volunteering among children by facilitating intercultural learning between students and international volunteers. Practical, fun and creative activities based on non-formal education methods foster the learning process of both pupils and volunteers. During their stay in Croatia, volunteers also participate in a two-month vegetarian challenge.
What volunteers do
- sowing and planting
- building raised beds, ponds, stone gardens, open-air classrooms etc.
Workshops for kids
- language and culture workshops
- environment protection workshops
- sports and open-air activities
- planning and preparation of the events in cooperation with schools and pupils
- preparation of snacks
- organising workshops
- intercultural nights
- vegetarian and vegan cooking workshops
- Animal Protection Day and Environment Protection Day celebrations